REmoving one drug?

I have been in ACTG Study 5095 since its beginning - as you know, it was partially unblinded because people on Trizivir alone were showing some failure. I am in one of the arms with Sustiva so no alteration had to be made. I have been doing very well on whichever combo I am on (either sustiva plus Combivir or Sustiva plus Trizivir) with barely a blip above a viral load of 11 and CD4's always around the low 400's and 28%. However, I wonder if, after the study ends, if I find that I am on Sustiva and Trizivir, would it be in any way dangerous to switch to Sustiva and Combivir to get one toxin out of my body? I like the idea of having as few things in my body as possible! Might this cause a a problem?? I would still be on three drugs, rather than the four. REally the only side effects i have are the legendary sleep/dream problems with Sustiva, which have never lessened in three years - I don't know WHY the drug companies think they do!

Response from Dr. Lee

Sounds like you are working with active HIV docs. Check with them. The studies so far would indicate that you could swap to the 2 nucleosides (Combivir) rather than 3 (Trizivir) with the non-nuc (Sustiva) if you are doing well.

If you are having severe sleep disruption, be sure to talk to your docs about how to reduce or treat that symptom, or what other options you may have.

Be well.

Failure on T-20 and Taprinivir
Patients Taking "Orphaned" Treatment Regimens