Forced drug holiday. When return to meds?

Dear docs, I recently switched from Sustiva to Viramune to try to improve psichiatric symptoms. I had a really bad reaction to Viramune (really high liver enzimes, jaundice), so I had to stop everything. I'm on an unexpected and forced drug holiday. Said so, I began to think about taking that on my advantage. That's the question: is that a smart move? What are the risks? Resistance? When restart? My data: last combo (still the first one) sustiva, 3tc and d4t. VL <50, cd4 780

Response from Dr. Lee

This is a not-so-structured interruption. But, as you say, why not make the best of it? It would help to know what your CD4 nadir (lowest level) has been as that may help predict how long you could expect to remain stable off treatment. For example, folks who have had very low CD4 counts tend to lose ground more rapidly than those whose counts have always remained above 300-400.

Also, the amount of your viral load off treatment is somewhat predictive. A viral level of 2000 off therapy portends slow progression of disease compared to a level of 200,000.

Review your history and plan options with your doc. Sounds as though you have done fairly well on this first regimen in terms of viral control.

Be well.

From Sustiva/Combivir to Viread/Emtriva/Sustiva
Timing of Crixivan/Norvir and Combivir