Just Started Treatment

I just started my first line treatment this week. My viral load was about 150,000 and T-Cells at 310. My doctor put me on Viread, Emtriva, Sustiva, Lexiva and Norvir. My question is regarding schedule of taking the drugs. I currently take the Emtriva-Viread-Lexiva-Norvir at 8am with a snack, then the Lexiva-Norvir at 8pm after eating. I then take the Sustiva at 10pm without food. Is there a simpler way of scheduling this? I think I can maybe take both doses of the Lexiva and Norvir at the same time, instead of twice a day. That would bring me down to taking pills twice a day.

Response from Dr. Lee

It is unusual to start someone on this combination because it includes all three classes of drugs. Ordinarily first line treatment includes two nucleosides (Viread and Emtriva) and either a non-nucleoside (Sustiva) OR a protease inhibitor (Lexiva plus Norvir) but not both. (Unless you had pre-treatment resistance testing that showed a pattern requiring this treatment?) I wonder why your doc put you on this three class treament, especially as your viral level of 150,000 is in a middle range and your T4 of 310 is also in a middle range. There are several simpler regimens and dosing methods. Please talk with your doctor. You may want to have a consultation with an HIV specialist, if your doc is not specialized in HIV care.

Be well.

second opinion re meds causing lypodystrophy
Drop AZT and abacavir