After 5 months on meds, I stopped.

When my CD4 hit 226, and my viral load went to 69,000, I started Combivir and Sustiva. Almost immediately, I began to put on weight (mostly in my stomach and face areas). My CD4 went up to 450 and viral load undetectable after 5 months. Due to my inability to keep my meds regular, I stopped taking them.

What have I done or what am I doing to myself by stopping so soon?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Lee

I'll bet you know the answer. You are losing ground. I suspect your CD4 will be below 200 within a few weeks. Talk to your doc about options. More importantly, you should decide how much you want to live and what you are willing to do to live. It is not easy to take the meds regularly, but people who want to control the virus take the medicine on a regimen. It is very clear that the medicines work to control HIV and to prolong lives (sometimes by decades). But only you can decide to take them.

Be well.

new combo advice
Blowing Keletra