Over medication??

My sister was diagnosed as HIV positive more than 10 years ago. She for more than 5 years been at undetectable load levels. She is frustrated she's taking as many as 18 pill a day, most of which seem to be causing more problems tha providing any solution. I fact on doctor told her that if she was dianosed today that would have prescribed 'NO" medication for her! She is currently so angry she plans to stop taking her medication altogether. I've told to try to sort it out with her doctor, but I'm worried about what she will do. I assume she would be considered a "nonprogressor", are there any new rule of thumb of how to treat them? Are many of then being taken off medication or are having their therpy modified?

Response from Dr. Lee

It is frustrating to take so many pills daily. The doctor who told her she would be on no medicines if she was diagnosed today either has information that you have not provided or is wrong. Ten years ago we did not have the ability to test viral levels in the blood and therefore could not apply the current guidelines (which are based on untreated levels of T cells and virus, not the levels after treatment). That is also why your sister would not be a non-progressor. The term is not usually applied to people who are on therapy.

I agree that she should sort this all out with her doctor. In fact, if she makes the wrong decision, it may affect her ability to resume treatment and may actually shorten her life. She's hung in there this long, best to wait and have a full discussion with a doc who knows her case and has knowledge about HIV.

Be well.

Want to Switch
t-cell count