Once or twice?

After being infected, 4 years ago, I started meds (Stocrin 600mg once a day and Lamivudine(150mg)+Zidovudina(300mg) twice a day) because my CD4 was 139 (12%) and VL 85300. In 3 months CD4 is 444(22%) and VL undetectable. But the results showed a macrocytosis. Ive heard that it is because of AZT. Being undetectable, do you think I could take only a day pill of AZT? Another question is: what does this macrocytosis do with my health? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Lee

Macrocytosis refers to enlarged cells. Usually it is used in reference to the red blood cells. These cells may increase in size due to decreased levels of certain vitamins such as folic acid. Supplementation of your diet with folic acid should reverse the lab abnormality, although it is not common for any serious problems to result from a mild deficiency of folate.

DO NOT TAKE ONLY ONE DAILY PILL OF AZT! This would be a very big mistake as it will be likely to cause the entire regimen to fail. Please talk to your doctor about these issues and stick with this winning combination in full until you and your doctor work out another approach.

Be well.

changing meds
Don't understand my labs, please respond