Proton Pump Inhibitors and Reyataz

I am a 42 year old male who has been positive since the early 80s. I'm very treatment experienced and am trying to maximize my success with salvage therapy. My latest CD4 was 100 and my viral load is >100,000. I have never had any OIs. My doctor has me on Reyataz (300 mg), Norvir (100 mg), Viread (300 mg), Epivir (300 mg), and Fuzeon. I also take Nexium for GERD as well as Effexor XR, Xanax, and Trazadone for anxiety/depression. The GERD is rather severe, so stopping my Nexium is problematic. However, I understand that all Proton Pump Inhibitors should not be used with Reyataz. I take my Nexium early in the AM and wait until 8 PM to take all my oral HIV meds. I take my Fuzeon at 10 AM/PM. Will the Nexium cause a problem with my HIV meds? My pharmacy called me to say this was an absolute no-no. My doctor and I discussed it, and determined that the timeframe for taking the Nexium shouldn't adversely affect my HIV meds. Who's right -- my doc, or my pharmacist? Or is this a judgement call?

Thanks for all that you do.

Response from Dr. Boyle

For now, I agree with your pharmacy and the combiantion of a proton pump inhibitor such as Nexium and Reyataz (atazanavir) is a "no-no". Research is underway to look into this further. A possible alternative is Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir) or Lexiva with ritonavir (fosamprenavir/ritonavir), although the data is less definitive regarding the latter.

full aids how do I manage now
Dropping AZT