Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A good combination?
Mar 29, 2004

Is Viread plus ddI plus Sustiva a good combination? I'm sensitive to these three but resistant to AZT and 3TC. I take Viread, Sustiva, and Kaletra now with VL less than 50, but I am growing wary of the high triglycerides, cholesterol and now possible glucose intolerance. I was wondering if it would be wise for the substitution of ddI for Kaletra. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Lee

It is understandable that you are concerned about the possible side effects of your protease inhibitor- Kaletra (which includes ritonavir). Ritonavir has been associated with elevated triglycerides.

But, you have not provided information about your current or lowest CD4 (T4) lymphocyte counts or highest viral load. You mention resistance to AZT and 3TC (Combivir) which indicates some nucleoside mutations, although presumably not those associated with Videx (DDI) resistance.

Unfortunately your suggested change means a reduction from a three-class regimen (a nucleoside, a non-nucleoside and a protease inhibitor) to a two-class regimen by deleting the protease inhibitor. Videx which is a nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor is generally not a good substitute for a protease inhibitor (such as Kaletra).

I am not sure the new regimen would hold, although your nondetectable viral level suggests that if you were able to maintain control after a change over and did not miss doses it could be a durable regimen for you. However, I do not have access to all the resistance information (such as which specific nucleoside mutations are present).

I suggest you discuss this in detail with your doctor and if you choose to change to a regimen that does not include a protease inhibitor I recommend viral load testing at about two to four weeks and frequently for a couple of months to ensure there is no breakthrough.

Be Well.

Previous
switching treatment, high LDL/cholesterol levels
Next
Acceptable lag between doses?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.