Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

too many hiv pubs -- which ones are best for meds
Mar 27, 2004

dear cal, i read much of ur stuff in the conference reports & like what you say. Can u tell me, tell all of us, your honest opinion of the one magazine with the best information and coverage of medication -- not the political dimensions of HIV & what countried need how much money, but strictly with the disease itself. The reason i ask -- and this is very important -- is that i am finding that there are too many publications and i find myself wasting time reading them for the kind of medical information i'm trying to find. I realize that your saying which ones you like might not seem kosher, but what i like about you is that u seem to be unconventional. So okay, give ur top 5 favorites in the area i speak about. However, if ur reluctant to for whatever reasons, i probably wont understand that but will try to.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Well - this is a tough one to answer. Though thanks for the fan club - I note that you value the "nonconventional" though I thought I was providing mainstream opinions - it is all those others who are unconventional...

I think the more challenging issue is that publications and postings vary in what they offer - and so there truly are no "best choices" for keeping up -it depends mainly on what you want to keep up on, and so on. And I am not sure what level of reading you are looking for -- whether it is the type of "lay-oriented" summaries like what are on here - for those facing HIV disease and wanting treatment info - versus those directed more towards clinicians who want to read the more basic science and make their own conclusions about clinician judgement.

But I agree - there are many many to choose from. What to do?

Well, like you - I actually am more influenced by whose opinion I read/hear from - rather than the web site or publication they appear in. Since that person might go from one web site to another and it is their insight I'd value - whereever it appears. Another reason why it is hard to answer your question directly.

But you asked. So - as for web sites and keeping up to date - I find a few that offer consistently good work for the non-clinician community in clear language in a timely way. These include this web site, plus its companion web site TheBodyPro, along with HIVandHepatitis.com and NATAP.org. John James also does useful updates with his newsletter AIDS Treatment News. POZ magazine has a regular and often very interesting series of articles on a wide variety of issues including treatment controversies...

So - not sure that helps - but these are a place to start no doubt. And perhaps - you'll find those other writers and voices on line that you value so you can follow them to whereever their stuff appears. Since some of us bond for years at a site - while others are far more transient or even polygamous appearing in many locations and many sites over the years...

Hope that helps.

Previous
Adding Viread to a working regimen
Next
Please comment On My New Combo

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.