Gynecomastia

I recently developed a small bump under my left breast. I have been on sustiva, abacavir and d4T. I have recently switched to Sustiva, AZT and Abacavir. I went for an ultrasound and a specialist who was going to to a biospy and decided that I had gynecomastia. The bump is noticeable on the touch and has not gone away and appears to have gotten a bit bigger. What do you think has caused this/or which of the drugs can cause this and will it resolve on it's own as the specialist has advised me it would? Or do you think the drug switch from Zerit to AZT would help this condition? Should I request more tests or have it drained? Your help as always appreciated!!

Response from Dr. Lee

It is interesting that you have not indicated if you are male or female, young or old, or many of the other characteristics that might help me make a more "educated" guess about what's up. It is also interesting that when you have a concern about something unusual going on with your body you seem to have decided it is the HIV meds that must have caused it.

The bump was evaluated by a specialist who said that you do not need a biopsy, so it is most probably not cancerous. But, since it has grown, I would suggest that you go back to the specialist (what kind of specialist?) and ask them to re-check.

HIV medications have been associated with gynecomastia which is different than a "bump". Gynecomastia is more generalized breast enlargement due to accumulation of fat or glandular increases.

Probably your bump is not associated with the HIV medicine. Therefore, it is unlikely that changing the meds will make a difference.

Again, I think you should have a doctor re-evaluate the bump.

replacement for Crixivan?
Stop meds after starting early?