A good combination?

Is Viread plus ddI plus Sustiva a good combination? I'm sensative to these three but resistant to AZT and 3TC. I take Viread, Sustiva, and Kaletra now with VL less than 50, but I am growing wary of the high triglycerides, colesterol and now possible glucose intolerance. I was wondering if it would be wise for the substitution of ddI for Kaletra. Thanks. Terry

Response from Dr. Boyle

This regimen is a good combination; however, the Videx dose needs to be adjusted due to the presence of Viread. This regimen, unlike protease inhibitor regimens, is not associated with glucose intolerance, although some patients do experience lipid increases with Sustiva. Kaletra is associated in some patients with the potential for glucose intolerance and increased lipids, especially triglycerides, so switching to that medication is unlikely to help with the issues you raise. You should, of course, discuss this with your doctor, but since you are succeeding with the regimen, and seem to be tolerating it well, I would not change your regimen at this point unless you are having apparent toxicity or significant change in your lipids.

stopping treatment
Seeking help with my next option