Long term effects?

I have been taking crixivan & combivir for seven years, 3 times a day. My viral is less than 50 and my TCells are at 504. Would like to switch to something simpiler? What would you suggest to talk with my doctor about? What are the long term effects from so much of these meds?

Response from Dr. Lee

You have been on such a stringent regimen and have done so well, congrats! Because of that, you are in a position to simplify your meds and have a lot of options. (In fact, way too many options to list details here.) You may be able to go to a once daily regimen, or a twice daily. You can choose between protease inhibitors, boosted or not and nonnuc reverse transcriptase inhibitors to go with some nucleoside combination (including sticking with the combivir, or not) or possibly even a triple combination of nucleosides.

The rest of your history, where your T-cells and viral levels started, your life style, diet, etc. should be taken into account. So talk to your doctor about the various options. As far as long-term effects- These antiretroviral drugs are not without side effects, and some of the side effects may be cummulative (that is, they may be increased with greater time on the drugs). However it is clear that the primary side effect of HIV is death and it is also clear that these drugs greatly reduce that risk.

switching from norvir & azt & protease inhibitors
After 7 years, continue HAART or take a break ?