Getting worse?

I have a question that may seem to have an obvious answer (i.e. get treatment), but given my life situation, I do not want to engage in treatment unless I feel that my health is in fact declining.

In 1997, I was diagnosed HIV+ and immediately went on antiretroviral treatment. My viral load at the time was high and my cd4 count was hovering slightly below 300. Over the course of a year and a half, my counts improved dramatically (cd4 near 700 and viral load undetectable). At that time, I was given the option of discontinuing treatment unless/until I became symptomatic or continuing treatment (also, I was having some difficulty with side effects neuropathy, etc.). I decided to discontinue treatment.

Shortly thereafter, I relocated across the country (in 1999) and was being monitored by a different doctor. But not long after starting with the new doctor, work and life became so hectic that we lost touch and I no longer had myself monitored, which is still the case now.

I am a little concerned because over the past few months, I have noticed things about my body that make me worry about a possible decline in my immune system and an advance in the disease. I have not had much weight loss (a little), but I have chronic malaise and fatigue, chronic diarrhea, skin rashes and blemishes, whiteness on my tongue and sores sometimes in my mouth, dandruff (which I also was told is a symptom, and I have not had this issue before now), muscle aches and pains, joint aches and pains. And in general, I just sense something is not right with my body.

Should I be concerned about disease progression, enough perhaps to warrant treatment? I also lead a hectic and stressful life, so might these things be as much a result of that? I am certain you will recommend seeing a doctor and being monitored, but at least can you tell me if these things might be symptoms of disease progression? And if I see a doctor, I have no idea who to contact and would need someplace to go for a referral. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Your symptoms are suggestive of disease advancement and you should be seen be a doctor. Contact a local university or hospital and they should be able to provide you with a list of potential providers.

kaletra switch --can I go back?
Thickly coated tongues: a footprint of viral infection?