Meds and Binge Drinking

Hi, I'm a 23 yr old male who has been on meds ever since I have tested positive which was 4 yrs ago. I originally started with Sustiva/Combivir but recently changed to Sustiva/Viread/Emtriva to get the convenience of a once daily cocktail. I have been very compliant with my meds and have only missed a hand full of times. With this current regimen I have not missed any since I started. On the weekends I like to go out with friends and drink. This past weekend I got drunk and happened to vomit about 3 hours after taking my meds. Does this have any affect of how the medicine is absorbed or did I vomit out the medicine along with all the alcohol? Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Given the time frame involved between your taking the medications and losing your lunch it shouldn't be a problem. While it's ok to drink while on the medications, you should strive for moderation and I would be (and you should be) concerned if this happened more often then a rare weekend where things got out of control.

Confused about videx/viread interactions
Test for HIV specific CTL's: