Trizivir and Sustiva

I have been taking just Trizivir and my Viral load is at 75 and T cell at 500. My Doctor wants me to start Sustiva in addition to the Trizivir due to recent studies saying that Trizivr alone is not as effective. Is it necessary to start another drug? dx in 2002 and 50 years old

Response from Dr. Boyle

Tough call. It's a reasonable thing to consider based upon the ACTG 5095 data which showed Trizivir by itself was inferior to Sustiva based therapy and if your viral load is 75 I would certianly strongly consider it. However, if your viral load is actually <75 (some assays have this as a lower cutoff) and you have been there for sometime, I don't think it is unreasonable to stay on Trizivir alone with careful monitoring.

Should I switch meds?
pml questions