Should I switch meds?

Thanks for answering this. I have been on my first regimen of Epivir, Ziagen and Sustiva for just over three years now with relatively good results. I have been undetectable since starting treatment and my T-cells average around 300, although I would like to see them higher. My only real side effect has been a rise in cholesterol and triglycerides although with the help of Lipitor and a low fat diet I have been able to get my cholesterol down to 180. My triglycerides are around 400. My doctor still feels this is too high and has suggested I switch to Atazanavir. Are these numbers too high in your opinion and is it worth giving up on a treatment regimen that is working so well at keeping me undetectable? I had hoped to be on this regimen for as long as I could since it was working so well. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. AP

Response from Dr. Boyle

If you're that happy with the regimen, I would consider further efforts to control your triglycerides before I strongly urged you to switch. Your current triglycerides are certainly higher than desirable, but they're not horrible, and triglycerides are not strongly associated with cardiovascular disease anyway. Although atazanavir is a reasonable choice for switch, and is pretty well tolerated, you just never know.

Regimen Change
Trizivir and Sustiva