resistant virus question

Dr.Boyle

I read in one of the previous questions that a person can live a full life if they dont have a resistant virus. How rare is hiv progression in your practice, also is resistant strains of the virus rare?

Response from Dr. Boyle

I am happy to report that the vast majority of my patients are doing extremely well, even many of those who have had very low CD4 counts at some point. The key is adherence to the antiretrovirals and NEVER MISSING A SINGLE DOSE! Still, as every doctor does, I do have some patients who don't do well, and some who develop resistance. Some of these patients went through serial monotherapy in the early 90's, but most weren't able to take the medications well (mainly due to side effects or psychosocial issues) or refused them outright. I still hope that with the newer therapies in the pipeline that even some of these patients might do well.

Should I ask my doctor about switching treatments?
How can my doctor know?