Med schedule off a little .....

I've been on HAART for a little over a year now with very good results - CD4 of 785 with undetectable viral load. I'm on Viread, Abacavir, Epivir, and Viramune. I take most of these meds twice a day.

I very rarely forget to completely miss a dose of medication, but am frequently late by a couple hours. Typically I take my meds between 9 and 12 in the morning and between 9 and 11 in the evening. Is this variability harmful to me? Should I be trying hard to pick a time and stick to it. It has been difficult doing that because of my flexible work/life schedule. Your comments?

JC

Response from Dr. Boyle

The medications you are on, unlike some other medications, have very forgiving pharmacokinetics. In fact, there is some evidence to support once-daily dosing of all 4, and Viread (tenofovir) and Epivir (lamivudine) are both approved for once daily dosing. Due to these favorable pharmacokinetics, the time differences you are talking about are likely to be insignificant and I would not worry too much about them. The closer you can get the better, but so long as you take the doses roughly every 12 hours apart (as you are doing) you should do fine. Also, ask you doctor about once-daily dosing, since this may make your life even easier.

trizivir solo and undetectable.why change?
Lupus and HIV Treatment