Best treatment for Molluscum

Hi Dr.Aberg, Thank you for helping our community. About 6 months ago I was treated for about 10-12 small molluscum. The dermatologist froze them and of course the scabs formed and I looked kinda scary. Now I have some on the lower part of my face and I would like to know what a better treatment would be. This time the molluscum is on the bottom areas of my face where I shave and I think it would be a disaster to have the freezing method done to areas I need to shave. What do you feel would be the best form of treatment rather than freezing? Would a chemical peel work? Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Aberg

You did not say what your CD4 count and HIV viral load are. In my experience, the best treatment is antiretroviral therapy with control of the HIV virus and CD4 counts >200 cells. The treatment you had is what I do as well. Each lesion can be "frozen" using liquid nitrogen. Sometimes they can be cut away using a method called curettage. This is a special cutting instrument. This may be a litte better for the beard area than freezing but you still may have small scabs. Wish I had better suggestions but unfortunately we do not have a cure for the viruses that cause molluscum.

soft bowel movements
Sustiva vs. Nevirapine