Need Advice about stopping treatment

I started treatment shortly after "converting" as part of a clinical trial. My T cells were 550 and my Viral load was over 100 thousand. After seven months I am now at 750 t cells and my viral bounces around from low 100's to 400....never going undetectable...My doctor said I might consider going off my meds and see where my body normalizes at on its own. The thought of that scares me to death....I was afraid to start therapy early, now I am afraid to stop. Help!

Response from Dr. Boyle

I agree with your doctor. While we don't have a lot of information about whne to stop in patients who start shortly after seroconversion, the studies that have been done to date indicate that it is reasonably safe for you to stop, with careful intial monitoring. You may need to restart at some point, but the odds are that you will be able to stay off meds for sometime. I think your detectable viral load, which indicates that you may have developed some resistance already and are on your way to more, makes the recommendation to hold therapy more reasonable.

Need a new regimen
changing Treatments : viread