Atazanavir

Dear Dr. Boyle,

I have been on the limited access to Atazanavir for about 1 week now. I take it with 3tc and zerit. I have noticed my eyes appear to be slightly glazed, a little yellowish. Is this the beginning of jaundice? Should I continue or keep plugging along? I am a 36 yr old wm, pos. over 6 yrs. My last labs were pretty good. Cd4-900 and VL <400. I have also noticed bizzare dreams, and a general tired feeling all developing in the last several days.

Thank-You in Denver

Response from Dr. Boyle

The yellowing of your eyes may be an early sign of jaundice and this is likely to be related to increased bilirubin levels which can occur with atazanavir treatment. This is a harmless side effect, but obviously not a desirable one. Fortunately, this is a mild problem in most patients and they do not have to stop therapy. So, what you are noticing may be related to atazanvir and you should discuss it with your doctor. He/she will be able to evaluate your bilirubin levels and give you some advice on the decision to stop or continue therapy.

meds and theraphie are good?
Drug Recalls ??