Drug Change

Dear Dr Boyle, Thanks for answering this question. I am very worried as I have just changed meds from sustiva/combivir to Viramune/combivir and have just started my new meds. Are there any concerns that I should be aware off in the early days of taking this combo and what are my chances of being able to tolorate this new med, many thanks for the advice.

Response from Dr. Boyle

In general, Viramune is pretty well tolerated, but you must watch out for 2 potential toxicities. The main toxicities of Viramune (nevirapine) are related to liver toxicity and rash. Some degree of liver toxicity occurs in a significant number of patients treated with Viramune, but it is uncommon for it to be severe. Your doctor should monitor your liver enzymes every 2 weeks or so during the intial treatment period and then every month or so. You should also watch for symptoms suggestive of liver toxicity such as a non-specific flu-like illness, fatigue, malaise, loss of appetite, nausea or jaundice and, if they occur, they should be immediately reported to your doctor. If you develop a rash, you should also contact your doctor immediately since Viramune related rashes can be severe in some patients and progress to a life-threatening condition if Viramune (nevirapine) is not appropriately discontinued.

after 3 years can i have a break?
Acute Hiv/Hbv infection