Is my husband really HIV positive?

I really want to know if my husband is HIV positive,if there is a possibility of wrong diagnosis. My husband was diagnosed of HIV around April of 2001. His viralload was less than 1000, according tohis lab. For about four months now, it has been less than 50 or undetected. There has never been any copies of the virus detected. He has been taking 8 capsules of fortovase a day, one capsule of novir, and two ziagen a day. He has never had any of the opportunistic infections associated with hiv.

Response from Dr. Boyle

I presume your husband was diagnosed based upon his antibody testing. I am unsure about your husbands viral testing since you mention that he had a viral load when diagnosed that was <1000 copies/mL, which implies that he had some detectable virus, but then go on to state "there has never been any copies of the virus detected." If he has never had any virus detected, and if he doesn't have any potentially HIV-related signs or symptoms, I would carefully evaluate the antibody testing, especially the western blot, and if there is any doubt regarding the accuracy of that testing I would repeat it. In fact, if your husband is symptom free, has normal T cells, and has always had an undetectable viral load, I would repeat the testing to make sure there was not a specimen handling error. You or your husband should discuss your concerns with his doctor.

weight
Immune 26