Bactrim necessary

I have been on Combivir and Sustiva since a bout with PCP in September 2001. Also, I have been on one Bactrim pill daily. My original VL of 500,000 has gone to Undetected. My CD4 has gone from a low of 138 at time of PCP to latest labs at 297. Rising every time. My question is about the Bactrim. Is it necessary for me to continue to be on this. And if so, If I miss a dose does it matter as much as missing a dose of the HIV Meds. (I never miss these) thank-you

Response from Dr. Aberg

There have been multiple studies showing that it is safe to discontinue PCP prophylaxis in individuals whose CD4+ T-cell counts have risen and stayed above 200 cells for at least 3-6 months. So, if you do not have any symptoms (no thrush or fevers, etc) and your CD4 count has been above 200 for at least 3 months, it appears safe to stop the Bactrim (Septra, SMX/TMP). Some providers also recommend that the CD4 percent be greater than 14%.

Sounds like you are doing well. I wish you continued success!

Reduced Medications
My Body Needs A Break