Crixivan pill load

Dr. Aberg,

I have been taking crixivan for several years now as part of my regimen and have had great success with my treatment. I know that there are other options out there that require fewer pills (sounds appealing). Do you think I should just stay with what works or simplify and risk a less effective outcome?

Thank you for your advice.

Response from Dr. Aberg

I think the choice is entirely up to you. Crixivan (indinavir, IDV) dosing can be modified by taking it twice daily with a little bit of Norvir (ritonavir, RTV). It would be 800 mg (2 pills) of IDV plus 100 mg (1 pill) of RTV. Some take 200 or 2 pills of RTV. The good news is that it is less pills, twice daily and you do not have to be so strict about what time you take it. The bad news is that some people develop more side effects from the higher levels of IDV such as kidney stones and skin changes plus others develop more metabolic complications such as high lipids from the RTV plus boosted IDV levels. I have patients that have made the switch are are very pleased. I have had other patients make the switch and develop intolerances. Many have stayed on the three times a day regimen because as you say, "have had great success". If it really isn't a problem for you and you have gotten it down as part of your routine, you may just want to stay on it. I wouldn't worry that you will get rebound of your virus as much as I worry that you may have more intolerance to the boosted IDV combination.

Epivir 300mg Once a Day
DDI or D4T