was

I was currently on Zerit, Epivir. & viramune, I have neuropathy from the knees down which has inabled me to walk at all. Iv'e done research on the drug zerit & found that it's main side effect causes neuuropathy, now my Doctor has changed my medications to combivir and viramune only. Any possible side effects causing more or worse neuropathy? Thank you

Response from Dr. Boyle

Peripheral neuropathy is a potential side effect of Zerit (stavudine), and tends to be problematic in patients with low T cells when they start therapy. I agree with the change to Combivir, and your peripheral neuropathy should improve, if it is Zerit-related. Of course, other things, including HIV itself, can cause peripheral neuropathy, so you should be evaluated to make sure that you don't have any other conditions that might cause or exacerbate your problem. There are also a number of medications that seem to help with neuropathy, including gabapentin (Neurontin) and lamotrigine (Lamictal), and you might want to give one a try.

DDI questions
Why switch