DDI questions

Why would my doctor perscribe the chewable twice daily tablet rather than the capsule? Is there any reason other than maybe he did not know about the capsule? I have taken DDI in mid 90s and I quit taking it because it made me sick. I got a huge hump and fat deposits all over my head and upper body within a month of taking Zerit. It was only drug Iwas taking ath the time. sustiva made me sick and suicidal. Is bristol myers aware of any of these side effects? Should I take videx if i have had bad experiences with the companys other drugs?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Yes, Bristol-Myers is aware of the side effects of their antiretrovirals, and so are Merck, Abbott, Glaxo and other companies. Unfortunately, all antiretrovirals can have some side effects in some people, but I have never heard of someone having an adverse reaction to a drug just because they had one to another drug that company made. As far as your actual side effects, the fat changes you describe do not sound Zerit (stavudine) related since lipodystrophy simply doesn't develop that quickly. Your concern that your problem was Zerit related really reflects the confusion in general regarding lipodystrophy and which drugs are responsible. In some cases, like yours, Zerit ends up getting blamed for the fat changes, not the drugs that the person was on before they started Zerit. In many cases, and especially yours given the time frame involved, the drug(s) the person was on before Zerit is (are) much more likely to have been responsible for the fat changes and several studies have shown that it is the cumulative time on antiretroviral therapy, not the individual drugs, that lead to lipodystrophy. As far as your problem with Sustiva (efavirenz), that is uncommon. Some patients do have some CNS or psychiatric side effects when they initially start Sustiva, but the vast majority are low grade and don't require discontinuation of therapy. In one study at our center, the discontinuation rate was about 4% and in the recently reported Gilead 903 study (which used Sustiva in both arms) the overall discontinuation rate was only 9% at 48 weeks, which is very low for any antiretroviral regimen. I agree that there is little reason for using Videx (didanosine) tablets now that Videx EC is available. It is much better tolerated, and many of my patients who didn't tolerate or like the tablets do very well with EC.

Can you exsplain this?
was