Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

videx switch
Jun 3, 2002

I read somewhere that videx ec was the most potent and durable out of all the available nukes, but also the most toxic (besides ddc)I've switched out my nuke because of side effects,does this mean the three years of undetectability and cd4s in the 4digits are going to be compromised? I switched to viread.Is this drug really the least toxic in the class or is that unfounded?

Response from Dr. Boyle

I agree that Videx EC is extremely potent, but I don't agree that it is the most "toxic". Like all nucleoside analogues (NAs) it has some unique toxicities associated with it, but these are not necessarily worse than those associated with the other NAs. As far as the switch to Viread, some in vitro (test tube) data, indicate that it has low toxicity, and the studies that have been done thus far seem to indicate that as well, but there is still a lot that is unknown. As we have often seen with antiretrovirals, sometimes the problems with them do not emerge until they are used in a lot of patients.

Previous
Never been able to increase CD4 Count
Next
drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.