Dr. Cohen, What Is Peptide-T????

Dr. Cohen: Hello. Can you tell us a little about " Peptide-T. Thanks, Rasher

Response from Dr. Cohen

Peptide T is a very old med in the HIV treatment history. It was designed with the goal of blocking HIV entry into cells. It was administed by nasal inhalation spray, I recall once or twice a day. It was studied for several years by groups here in Boston and elsewhere. After years of work, it was clear that while it was safe, there was inadequate demonstration of any activity and so it withered away a few years ago...

As with some if not many of the meds that come and go, that have some problems with the studies that were done, there was, and perhaps is a sense by some that it didn't get full study - that there was some benefit to the drug that was inadequately studied or proven. Or even that there was proof of benefit, but this was ignored and it was dropped prematurely. Or, for those inclined towards conspiracy theories, data were suppressed by powerful people...

But as far as I can tell, with the data that were available over the years of study, there was a good reason that development was stopped: If there was any activity, it wasn't enough to keep going. And there were/are more potent agents to focus on instead.

Through the benefits of search engines, you might be able to find some of the results that were published. But I think the conclusion you'd come to after looking is similar to this one...

What do you think?
Sustiva/Combivir to Sustiva/Epivir/Viread?