Please Doctor I have tried 3 times to get an answer
May 20, 2002
I know this might not be the right forum but you are a doctor and I need some clarafication. It would give me great peace of mind if u would
Here is my story again. I developed Hives 10 days after having unprotected sex. The next day I developed swollen glands. I went to say both my dermatologist and regular doctor who could not explain the causes of my hives. The blood test came back negative for viral infections and the glands went down 4-5 days later. Although the hives are 90 gone but despite taking Zrtec they keep coming back but in very small but miminal fashion.
1) Are hives indicative sof the viral Hiv syndrome 2) does the fact my hives persist a bad sign, as one website stated. 3) does the fact i had no fever or sore throat a good sign 4) I have also developed orange type dirrhea in the last 9 days. It is not listed as a side effect of Zrtec, so as a result I am terrified it might be HIV.
I know testing in 3 month is the best way but have you ever heard through collegues, doctors or research of Hives of being indicative of HIV.
I would really really really like if you simply answer my question it would give me peace of mind.
Response from Dr. Cohen
You are right - this is not the forum where we focus on testing issues - we have one that does and support anyone who has similar questions - any questions - to use that one for these concerns.
My short answer is that this does not sound like HIV infection at all but agree that a repeat test at 90 days is the definite answer, and a viral load test done anytime at this point is also helpful.
BUT PLEASE to you and all readers -- we get many questions on exposure concerns and want to address them all -- and do address them -- on the safe sex forum here. Let's save this one for treatment issues, OK?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Statistics Of Risk Of Hiv Following A Needlestick
- Can A Man Give A Woman Hiv By Pulling Out Before Ejaculation?
- Does Drinking The Night Before Affect Hiv Tests?
- What Does It Mean When Hiv Is Lying Dormant In Your Body?
- Will You Have Hpv Genital Warts Your Whole Life?
- Where Do Shingles Appear On The Body?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.