Xanax and sustiva/Trizivir???

I just changed my therapy from Crixivan, Norvir, and Combivir, because I was begining to have fat redistribution, to Sustiva and Trizavir. Is it safe to take Xanax with this combination? My Dr. says I may not need Xanax anymore, and I should not have a problem, and my pill book says do not combine these combinations? I have been on Benzo's for about 5 years.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Actually you should not have been taking benzodiazepines (benzos) with the crixivan/norvir (indinavir/ritonavir) because that combination could have resulted in increased levels of the xanax (alprazolam) and could cause serious adverse events such as increased sedation. If the xanax or any benzodiazepine level gets too high, you can actually suppress breathing and result in coma or even death.

The fact that you took xanax for years while on the protease inhibitors suggest that the xanax level did not get too high. Sustiva may cause a similar interaction. I would be cautious with stopping the xanax all at once as you may experience rebound or withdrawal symptoms. If you and your doctor agree to stop this, I would favor you do it slowly with dose reductions and not stop all at once.

how many HAART-options in one poz-life?
STI Prospects