NEW COMBO

Dear Docs, I have been + for about 5 years now. I recently swithced out Zerit in favor of Viread, due to some lipodystropy issues. I am still on the Sustiva and 3TC. Blood work recently back VL 623, and CD4 at over 1300. I have been taking this combo for the past 6 weeks prior to the lab work. I never go to below 50 copies on anything is this of any concern. Thank-You in Denver.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Yes, it is. Your doctor should evaluate your past antiretroviral therapy carefully and consider trying to get a resistance test (sometimes you can get one between 500 and 1000 copies/mL) to guide further therapy choices. A viral load like yours is likely to lead to the development of higher levels of resistance, and eventually immunologic failure, and that may further affect your future treatment options and chances for success.

Videx/Epivir okay?
switching to trisivir