Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Once a Day Dosing?
Mar 24, 2002

Sustiva & Viread can be taken once a day and I read that Viread will work simular to Zerit.Could Sustiva & Viread be used together or would Sustiva+Viread+Zerit still be prefered?

Response from Dr. Aberg

Sustiva (efavirenz) is now available as a single 600 mg pill taken once a day. You are correct that Viread (tenofovir) is also one pill daily. You really should use a 3 drug regimen. The only time I prescribe a 2 drug regimen is when one is using a potent non-nucleoside (NNRTI) and protease inhibitor (PI) together to spare the use of nucleosides due to resistance or side effects associated with the nucleosides. Even then, the PI is a PI such as Kaletra which is boosted or enhanced with ritonavir.

Back to your question. I think a good choice with Sustiva and Viread is Videx EC (once daily DDI). There is some preliminary evidence suggesting that the Viread and Videx EC can be taken together and you do not have to worry about meal issues. So, this combination would be just 3 pills once a day! Obvously there are other choices including other nucleosides and protease inhibitors.

Previous
Stopping meds
Next
I can't get my CD count up

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.