For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Once a Day Dosing?

Sustiva & Viread can be taken once a day and I read that Viread will work simular to Zerit.Could Sustiva & Viread be used together or would Sustiva+Viread+Zerit still be prefered?

Response from Dr. Aberg

Sustiva (efavirenz) is now available as a single 600 mg pill taken once a day. You are correct that Viread (tenofovir) is also one pill daily. You really should use a 3 drug regimen. The only time I prescribe a 2 drug regimen is when one is using a potent non-nucleoside (NNRTI) and protease inhibitor (PI) together to spare the use of nucleosides due to resistance or side effects associated with the nucleosides. Even then, the PI is a PI such as Kaletra which is boosted or enhanced with ritonavir.

Back to your question. I think a good choice with Sustiva and Viread is Videx EC (once daily DDI). There is some preliminary evidence suggesting that the Viread and Videx EC can be taken together and you do not have to worry about meal issues. So, this combination would be just 3 pills once a day! Obvously there are other choices including other nucleosides and protease inhibitors.

Stopping meds
I can't get my CD count up