The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does alcohol affect HIV medications?

Aug 8, 2017

Hi. I was detected HIV three months ago. My cd4 was 752 and viral load I still don't know. I started to take lamivudina, tenofovir and efavirenz all at 8:00 at night. In these 3 months I have drunk alcohol moderately at least one time per month. Can it can affect my adherence to treatment?. And do we have to avoid alcohol at all? Or can I can drink at a party normally once a month or do I really have to avoid it. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Hello and thanks for writing. It is good that you were able to begin treatment while your viral load is still high.

It is generally considered safe for someone to have one alcoholic drink with HIV medications. I'm not sure what you mean by drinking "moderately" - that can mean different things to different people. One drink when you go out will not interfere with your HIV medications.

Because you just tested positive three months ago you are still undergoing a period of adjustment. During that time you are at increased risk for using too much alcohol (or other drugs) as a way to cope with the shock and any resulting feelings. Although it sounds like your drinking is well-controlled and occurs at social situations,I would urge you to use caution and avoid drinking to avoid uncomfortable emotions.

All the best,


Slamming meth
Sick after taking alcohol

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint