Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Slamming meth

I'm new the banging dope. This guy I know been banging me in my arm. Today I'm not sure what he was on but I am pretty sure he missed my vein. My arm is swollen and hurts when I bend. I didn't get that rush u suppose to get when u bang. What should I do?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. If an injection misses the drug you ingested will get slowly absorbed. If that doesn't happen you should seek medical treatment.

When there is a miss, there is a highly increased chance of infection which can develop very quickly. Initially it is useful to apply warm compresses to help the swelling go down. If the site becomes warm or hot to the touch or red and inflamed, you need to get medical attention immediately. Such infections can travel through the bloodstream and are extremely dangerous.

Injecting meth - or any drug- carries a great deal of risk, especially if someone else is doing it. You can find information on harm reduction methods to make it safer here.

Increasingly we are finding that a great deal of drugs on the street contain adulterants. Meth, cocaine, mollies (supposedly MDMA) and even marijuana can contain strong drugs like Fentanyl which can do great harm with even a very tiny amount. The fact you didn't experience the expected rush is telling.

Bottom line: drugs are increasingly dangerous and injecting escalates that danger. If you do inject, please follow the instructions in the Harm Reduction pamphlet.

Be safe,

David

Poppers how dangerous?
Does alcohol affect HIV medications?