Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

ALCOHOL and MEDICINE

I'm taking HIV pills regularly but I skip medicine when I take alcohol Idrink can i have any problem.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. It is extremely important that you consistently take your HIV medications. This means never missing a dose, even when you drink alcohol. It is generally considered to be safe to drink one alcohol beverage per day while on HIV medications. Depending on your regimen there may be minimal interactions but keep in mind that both alcohol and HIV medications can put a burden on your liver.

The fact that you are choosing alcohol over your HIV medications makes me concerned that you may have a problem with alcohol. You may want to ask yourself these questions based on the CAGE questionnaire, a common screening tool: 1. Have you ever felt you should but down on your drinking? 2. Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking? 3. Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking? 4. Have you ever had a drink first think in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover?

Giver yourself 1 point for each answer "yes." A score of 2 or more is considered clinically significant.

If you think you have a problem speak with your healthcare provider and check out some recovery resources such as AA or SMART Recovery.

Good luck to you,

David

Me And My Wife with different medications
Anxiety about getting others infected