Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Meth using after surgery

Is it bad to smoke meth after surgery?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for your question. Meth use is never a good idea before or after surgery. That said, I understand that many people requiring surgery may also have a meth problem. Meth can interact with other drugs, including anesthetics, because they are often processed by the same liver enzymes. It is important to let the anesthesiologist know you are a meth user.

As for post-surgery, meth use can increase your chances of infection and, in my experience, the use of meth usually doesn't include physical rest which is essential to healing and recovery. Beyond that, other lifestyle habits that go with injection drug use may not be conducive to post-surgery recovery, including overall hygiene, risk of other infections, injuries, or co-infection with other sexually transmitted infections or even MRSA.

Finally, meth causes a host of physical complications (especially cardiopulmonary) which can create a confusing picture for your medical providers trying to assess post-op recovery.

I've listed this in a previous post but here are some resources for getting help with meth: Narcotics Anonymous, Crystal Meth Anonymous, or SMART Recovery.

Wishing you all the best,

David

Injecting meth and missing
Prep and chem sex