Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Meth + AIDS

My Brother, 52, told me last night, his T-cell count has now dropped to 117, he has renal insufficiency, so that means his meds are nephrotoxic, so he has stopped using them. How bad is his t -cell count? Also has been doing "maintenance" meth more or less daily for 2 years. With or without meth, is it too late for alternative meds?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thank you for writing. I'm sorry to hear about your brother's difficulties and encourage him to work with his healthcare time to find the best course of treatment. As for meth, the idea that a "maintenance" dose is a viable solution or that it is in any way sustainable is very dangerous. Methamphetamine has been found to impact the immune system not only through behavior but by cellular activity as well. Encourage your brother to seek help to get off meth through counseling and/or Narcotics Anonymous, Crystal Meth Anonymous, or SMART Recovery.

Best wishes for you both,

David

2. Treatment for IV meth miss
I'm HIV+, not on meds, and smoked meth for a week