Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Meth + AIDS
Aug 23, 2014

My Brother, 52, told me last night, his T-cell count has now dropped to 117, he has renal insufficiency, so that means his meds are nephrotoxic, so he has stopped using them. How bad is his t -cell count? Also has been doing "maintenance" meth more or less daily for 2 years. With or without meth, is it too late for alternative meds?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thank you for writing. I'm sorry to hear about your brother's difficulties and encourage him to work with his healthcare time to find the best course of treatment. As for meth, the idea that a "maintenance" dose is a viable solution or that it is in any way sustainable is very dangerous. Methamphetamine has been found to impact the immune system not only through behavior but by cellular activity as well. Encourage your brother to seek help to get off meth through counseling and/or Narcotics Anonymous, Crystal Meth Anonymous, or SMART Recovery.

Best wishes for you both,

David

Previous
2. Treatment for IV meth miss
Next
I'm HIV+, not on meds, and smoked meth for a week

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.