Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Smoking vaporizing and hiv

Hi , so I just tested positive for HIV and I smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a day and smoke weed also. So I wanted to know if continuing like this is going to worsen my situation and drop the numbers of my cd4 ? What about electric cigar as I use them also? Can I just smoke the juice which has no nicotine in it? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear you just tested positive but am glad you are finding out how to best maintain your health. Smoking one or two cigarettes a day is obviously preferable than an entire pack, but you are still ingesting both nicotine and lots of toxins that stress your body. Studies show that nicotine decreases T cells and T cell-dependent antibody response, although the mechanism is not yet understood. It would be best for your health to stop ingesting nicotine by any method. As for marijuana, many people and studies have its documented positive effects at controlling symptoms, although smoking a joint introduces all kinds of other toxins as well. Remember that most electronic cigarettes and cigars contain significant amounts of nicotine. Of all these methods, including for marijuana, vaporizing is probably safest delivery method.

Take care,

David

GBL AND ECSTASY WHILE ON HIV MEDICATIONS
Injecting crystal meth into breast, red and purple and painful