Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Nervous about sharing drug cooker

Okay, so I used to use drugs, luckily I have turned my life around, got clean and I have steady income. Everything is great! BUT, the last month or so of my addiction I injected Heroin. I have never shared a needle but my concern is this... A friend and I, who I am unaware of HIV status, were driving in a car. We only had one water bottle to use but we both had our own syringes. He knew I was paranoid about sharing drug utensils but we only had, like I said, one water bottle and one bottle cap to use for preparation. I gave him part of a cigarette butt for the filter and we added cocaine to the water bottle cap. After that, my buddy being aware of my paranoia, used my syringe first to pull clean water out of the water bottle. He checked the amount in the syringe so we could divide between us both after mixing the cocaine in the water, inside the bottle cap. He then used my syringe first to suck up my half then he used his to get his after me. My concern is that we did this twice from the same cap. I believe if I remember correctly we used a new cotton each time but I'm worried about his needle being exposed in the amount of water in the cap then reusing the cap. At the time i felt no risk because of my syringe being used first both in adding water to the mixing cap and drawing the drug out first. I felt air or water plus the drug would have killed the little amount in the cap but now as time goes on I read that sharing cookers is a high risk situation... I would love some feedback. I bought a hep c test and next pay check will be doing an hiv test but still I'm having extreme anxiety about it at work. I never shared needles or utensils of any kind in any other situation and I'm positive of that... how much risk do I have?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Congratulations on your recovery. You mention using heroin but in the details you describe cocaine. In any case, sharing cookers is indeed a high risk situation for both hepatitis and HIV. Air and water are not sufficient to kill these viruses in such situations. I would recommend getting an HIV test soon so that your extreme anxiety can be put to rest. You don't mention how long ago this incident was, but you should be tested for at least six months.

Don't wait for your next paycheck. I am sure you can find someplace that can provide the test free of charge.

Good luck,

David

Percentages of getting hiv by all ways
Mt boyfriend recently found out he was postive