Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Meth and Complera

Dear Dr. Fawcett,

I occasionally use meth for recreational use and I am fully aware of the associated health risks when using meth.

I would like to know if there is any known drug interaction between meth and my HIV drugs (Complera, in EU: Eviplera).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I don't need to say (but I will) that even "recreational" use of meth is a slippery slope. I have had many patients develop serious problems with meth after thinking they could control it. These are people who otherwise had never had a problem with addictive behaviors of any kind. I am sure some can do so, but there are many who expect they can handled the drug and then find themselves in trouble.

That said there isn't much research on interactions with recreational drugs. The liver enzyme that processes meth also processes several HIV meds, sometimes resulting in unexpected blood levels (low or high) of either the ARV or crystal. Here is a link to a site that discusses such interactions- it is a start.

Take care, David

shared a crack pipe, 3 days later showing HIV symptoms
losing touch with reality **help**