Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Atripla and crystal meth

I use every week end at a local bathhouse. I've missed my meds no longer than 2 days. Wlll I be ok or will I become resistant to Atripla? I'm now 12 days clean not missing my meds but I'm itching to party. I've been smoking 3 months now and medicated since May 1 2012

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing and congratulations on being 12 days clean. I don't need to tell you that meth is a really dangerous drug. It directly affects the reward center in our brains and quickly becomes fused with sexual behavior. Because it also impacts the part of our brain that helps us make good decisions, meth leads to more risky sex,fewer protections, and missed medications.

No one can say for sure if you already put yourself in a position where you will become resistant, but your are certainly playing with fire. It will eventually happen.

Meth cravings are difficult but they can be managed. Get into a support group such as CMA, NA, or Smart Recovery. Find a counselor where you can address other issues that might be affecting your compulsive behavior and impulses. And finally, ditch your online profiles, stay away from the bathhouse, and consider just being sexually abstinent for a while. That might help you avoid temptation and give your drug-free brain an opportunity to "reboot."

Lots of men have been in your position and succeeded you can too! Take care,

David

Will a cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice before breakfast interacts with the hiv treatment?
Pre Employment Drug Screening and Atripla