Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Is 5% alcohol beer 330ml ok with meds

My viral load is 25 and CD4 is 700. I am on Efavirenz IP + Emtricitabine IP + Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate IP combination. Is it ok to have a 330ml of beer of 5% alcohol content? Will it interfere with my medication?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. As mentioned in other posts, one drink containing alcohol per day is generally considered safe for someone on antiretrovirals. A 5% alcohol content is pretty standard. Alcohol can make the side effects of Efavirenz worse (intense dreams, anxiety, etc). Be alert to that and double check with your healthcare provider to be certain there are no other particulars in your case that would limit your occasional beer.

Take care,

David

Medication
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder