Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Complera and social drinking

I'm 28 and newly diagnosed but otherwise healthy. I was told my CD4 count was 502, not sure what the viral load was (all is still very new to me). I've been taking Complera for about a week and I wanted to know if my occasional social drinking will affect my medication or hinder my cell count. I usually drink about 3 or 4 beers socially, not every day or every week.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. The rule of thumb for someone on antiretroviral medications is that one drink/day is acceptable. I don't know of specific studies on alcohol and Complera, however three to four beers puts more of strain on your liver. Speak with your doctor about your concern and protect your health!

Take care,

David

Marijuana and Atripla
Ecstasy and HIV meds