Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Marijuana and Atripla

Hi Doc,

Well, I'm worried about taking Atripla and smoking marijuana 3 or 5 times in a week. I can't quit. I know that increases the risk of lung affections but my questions:

Is there some interaction when I take Atripla and smoke weed?

Can it increase the chance to get mental disorders?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I'll repost a response on this topic here. There is no clear contraindication in this case, although I would caution you about a possible increase in the negative effects of Sustiva (a component of Atripla) with marijuana.

I would explore support programs where you can get help quitting marijuana. Although it is becoming more widely acceptable, for some people the addictive process becomes problematic. You can get more information at NA or SMART Recovery..

-David

HIV and cigarettes
Complera and social drinking