Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

What to do about my boyfriend and drugs

I have been with my boyfriend for over 4 years. We both got back into getting high again. I just started my meds less than 30 days ago. I feel a lot better getting high, but it is taking a toll on us. We don't trust each other. What should we do? Please help!!!!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. HIV and recreational drugs generally don't mix. They can increase risky behavior and, for someone like you, can interfere with regular adherence to medication routines or even with metabolism of the antiretrovirals themselves. Living with HIV produces lots of emotional challenges and recreational drugs seem to present a way to numb them or simply escape. The price, however, is extremely high in terms of physical and emotional health, and the toll on relationships.

There is lots of help available. I recommend speaking with a professional to determine what level of care would be needed for you. I have found that groups are an essential piece of the formula for breaking free form drug use. Check out the following sites to find meetings in your area.

AA

NA

Crystal Meth Anonymous

SMART Recovery

Take care,

David

HIV Negative - thanks!
hepc liver damage