Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Can I drink alcohol?

I was recently diagnosed with HIV a couple of months ago. I've been hesitant consuming alcohol for fear that it would cause some negative impact on my HIV medication; however my doctor informed me that it was okay to drink alcohol moderately even though I'm on HIV meds. My question to you is...Are there certain types of alcohol that I should stay away from? Are there certain mix drinks I should stay from? A friend told me that vodka is best to drink for those with HIV; however it should only be mixed with fresh lemon or lime??

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. It is considered safe for someone with HIV to have one alcoholic drink per day. Obviously if someone has had trouble controlling their use it's best to totally avoid it. I am unaware of any studies indicating what type of alcoholic beverage might be safer, however check with your doctor about use of citrus and any possible (but unlikely) impact on your meds.

Take care, David

Can mental illness make my pain worse?
HIV Symptoms or is anxiety getting the best of me?