Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Smoking marijuana and have AIDS Dementia

Does smoking marijuana have a negative effect on AIDS Dementia? I already have problems with short term memory and am not able to get the words out that I want to when I am talking. I'm not sure if the marijuana is making the dementia worse or not.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. We have much to learn regarding our understanding of the neurocognitive effects of HIV. If you are having symptoms related to memory it would be important to have a neuropsychiatric workup to better understand what is actually occurring and to understand the specifics of any neurocognitive symptoms.

That said, marijuana does impact memory and can have a negative impact on memory performance. Be certain to discuss your concerns with your healthcare provider. You may want to cut out the marijuana to see if your memory improves. You may also want to discuss any possible impact of utilizing synthetic THC (such as dronobinol) instead of marijuana itself.

Be well,

David

AA Resources for HIV+ People
Sharing a meth pipe with someone who has AIDS