Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Smoking marijuana and have AIDS Dementia
May 18, 2013

Does smoking marijuana have a negative effect on AIDS Dementia? I already have problems with short term memory and am not able to get the words out that I want to when I am talking. I'm not sure if the marijuana is making the dementia worse or not.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. We have much to learn regarding our understanding of the neurocognitive effects of HIV. If you are having symptoms related to memory it would be important to have a neuropsychiatric workup to better understand what is actually occurring and to understand the specifics of any neurocognitive symptoms.

That said, marijuana does impact memory and can have a negative impact on memory performance. Be certain to discuss your concerns with your healthcare provider. You may want to cut out the marijuana to see if your memory improves. You may also want to discuss any possible impact of utilizing synthetic THC (such as dronobinol) instead of marijuana itself.

Be well,

David

Previous
AA Resources for HIV+ People
Next
Sharing a meth pipe with someone who has AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.