Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Atripla and excessive drinking of beer
Dec 30, 2012

Hello Doctor,

I am the spouse of an HIV- positive man. He was diagnosed positive about 6 years ago. All his lab values come back normal each visit. However, my husband drinks every day, darn near all day. When I say anything he always tells me that other guy's wives don't complain about what their husbands do. I am not only afraid of the damage to him, but worried about me as well. How bad, if at all, is it for him to drink so much on meds?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Most professionals agree that moderate drinking (one alcoholic drink per day) isn't harmful for someone on HIV medications. It sounds as if your husband, however, far exceeds that amount. Anyone who drinks every day, and all day, needs to examine the fact that they are drinking alcoholically. His anger about you pointing it out is typical and characteristic of denial, a symptom of addiction. While alcohol doesn't necessarily interact with HIV medications like some other recreational drugs, they both get processed by the liver. Since HIV medications and alcohol both strain the liver, at some point your husband's lab values will be affected.

Your husband needs to get his drinking under control. It is generally accepted that someone who drinks at alcoholic levels needs to abstain; "controlling" the drinking is no longer an option. He can find help at Alcoholics Anonymous or SMART Recovery. I strongly recommend that you seek help for yourself as well because, as you note, you are also being affected. Check out Al-Anon for support.

Good luck to you both,

David

Previous
I want to quit my habit of sex with prostitutes
Next
How long we can alive in second line treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.