Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Concern about ecstasy

I wrote in earlier about ecstasy and it's possible effects on delayed seroconversion. I should have noted that (so far) I am not HIV positive as my blood test at 19 weeks and my rapid blood prick at almost 22 weeks were both negative. I am waiting the next two weeks for my 24 week result but I have been confused by literature I've read about this drug and its effects on CD4 cells. Would using ecstasy somewhat frequently for about a year and half cause enough damage to the immune system to create false negatives for both of my test results? Thank you so much for your guidance and insight.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Ecstasy does have an immunosuppressive effect, but I know of nothing in the medical literature documenting any impact of long-term ecstasy use on false negatives (or positives) of HIV tests. I would, however, caution you about such frequent use of the drug. It can be impure and users risk increased depression, the development of tolerance and other serious consequences such as heatstroke. You can read more about it here.

-David

here

Ecstasy and delayed seroconversion
Still depressed after interferon